Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Beginnings???

Humility????

Hideous??

or perhaps I'll simply call this one "My First Quilt".

In 1992, my sister-in-law, taught me the basics of hand piecing. Once I made a couple of blocks, I decided it was time to make a quilt. We didn't have much money, and I really wasn't sure I was going to like this whole "quilting thing", so I used what I had. Mostly cotton fabrics that I had sewn clothing, curtains, tablecloths, shower curtains, sleep shorts, dresses, and other such stuff with.

I made a nine patch block, alternating with a "plain" block. But honey, these aren't really plain blocks. They are LOUD blocks, just like the fabrics found in the nine patches. The quilt is not quite as hideous to me as it once was. It actually has a bit of charm for me. And, I love looking at the fabrics in it and remembering all the projects I had made, the clothing my kiddos wore.



I never quilted it, but I think I will someday soon. It wouldn't take long and it would be a fun quilt to snuggle under and laugh at with my kids. I know one day they will probably fight over this quilt.....as homely as it is.

Happy Quilting!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

suemac said...

It does have a lot of history. My first major pieced project had flying geese that I trimmed to small so I had to add some cheater fabric to it. My daughter likes it because it looks antique.

Linda said...

My very first quilt was made when I was pregnant with my first son.I made a nine patch with red and purple squares! It was a picnic quilt until my son lost it as a teenager (on a picnic!). You should have seen how how I bound it! I had no idea how to do it so I just made up a way!!! Whoever found that quilt is probably still laughing about it! I think yours looks pretty good!

Material Mary said...

No better quilt than one with memories!!
Mary

Larry and Rhonda said...

any coulottes in that assortment of fabrics? Just had to ask...

Betty Lou said...

You had some good begining instruction, I never learned to handpiece. I think it is a lost art. Lots of memories in that quilt. Have no idea what happened to my first quilt.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Quilted memories are the best!

jovaliquilts said...

It's definitely charming, and nothing is better than a quilt with memories. Quilt it soon and make more memories by using it!